- Establishing an OH&S management system in order to minimize risks towards employees and other interested parties, who might be exposed to OH&S risks in connection with the organization
- Continual improvement of an OH&S management system
- Demonstrable conformity with the organization’s own safety policy
- Communicating this conformity to the outside
- Having the OH&S management system certified/ registered by an external organization
- Determining the organization’s own OH&S level and declaring conformity with the present OHSAS Specification
Motivation and benefits
The ISO 45001 : 2018 (Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Systems) Standard includes criteria for assessing an OH&S (Occupational Health and Safety) management system and refers to all the organizations, regardless of size.
The adoption of this standard systemizes safety related activities and helps to improve the processes. Awareness of OH&S risks is promoted. Legal requirements relating to OH&S are verifiable fulfilled. There is an open information policy in terms of the development of OH&S. Occupational safety and health protections are improved continually. Processes are studied and reviewed systematically. Measures are defined, monitored and assessed. IATF 16949:2016 certification & Health and Safety Audit can exclusively be performed by certification bodies that are recognized and accredited by IATF (International Automotive Task Force) and by specially qualified auditors.
An organization certified acc. to ISO 45001 : 2018 enjoys higher confidence among customers, suppliers, employees, authorities and investors. Elements of ISO 45001 : 2018 can be combined to a comprehensive management system with those of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001. This means ISO 45001 : 2018 is to be used as a standard congruent with ISO 9001.
- Trade and industry
- Service providers
- Social institutions
- Public and municipal sectors
- Rail companies
The management system ISO 45001 : 2018 includes requirements for OH&S management systems, which help the organizations to manage their OH&S risks and improve their performance.
The OHSAS Specification can be applied by any organization. All the requirements stated in the present OHSAS Specification are intended to be taken over to an OH&S management system. The extent to which they are used depends on such factors as the safety policy of the organization concerned, the organization’s activities, the risks and the complexity of the operations and processes.
In order to be certified acc. to ISO 45001 : 2018, an organization must fulfill the following criteria:
- Elaborating a safety policy
- Making a risk analysis, planning, setting objectives and establishing a programme for reducing the number and scope of accidents at work
- Integrating the requirements in the business processes
- Internal auditing and periodic management review of the system
Acc. to the Federal Law Gazette, 153rd Regulation, which was published on 22 May 2009, Quality Austria Training, Certification and Evaluation Ltd. is accredited for certifying organizations acc. to ISO 45001 : 2018.
Other Relevant Standards
ISO 9001, ISO 14001, SCP, SA 8000, SQAS, SCC, EN 13816, SMS § 39 EisbG EU RL 2004/49/EG